Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice

This is honestly one of my favorite, most-used recipes. I LOVE brown rice, but I hate cooking it on the stove. It never seems to come out right. This recipe works perfectly every time. If I know I'm going to want to use brown rice in a recipe for dinner, I just make a pan of this in the afternoon so it's ready to go. I've also made it and then put it in the freezer to use later.


1 1/2 cups long-, medium-, or short-grain brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
2 t. oil or unsalted butter
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 375. Combine all ingredients in an 8x8 baking dish. Cover tightly with a double layer of foil. Bake 1 hour, until tender (every once in a while I add 5 minutes). Remove baking dish from oven and loosen the foil (I usually lift up a corner). Let rice stand for 5 minutes.

Note: You can double this recipe in a 9x13 baking dish without increasing the baking time. You can also use a baking dish with a lid instead of the foil.

1 comment:

  1. For sharing this you deserve a Hawaiian vacation!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete