Monday, November 9, 2009

Hamburger Pie

This is absolutely one of our very favorite recipes. It just tastes like home.

2 lb. ground beef, browned & drained
1-2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1-2 cans green beans
potatoes, mashed
cheddar cheese, shredded

Brown the ground beef and garlic, then drain. Add tomatoes and tomato sauce (sometimes I just use a few small cans of tomato sauce). Spread meat & tomato mixture in a 9x13 pan or a large casserole pan. Spread the green beans on top of the meat mixture. Make mashed potatoes. I make them from scratch (I'm not an instant potato fan) and use 8-12 potatoes, depending on how many people I'm feeding. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the green bean layer. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that meal. And I want it now, really really bad! We're having turkey burgers tonight. But later this week I think we will have HAMBURGER PIE BABY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know that's basically Shepherd's Pie? I was just looking at Shepherd's Pie recipes and this is really close to one of them I looked at. I'm gonna try it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiff, I did know that! It just seems like Shepherd's Pie was originally made with lamb, maybe. So we've always stuck with calling it Hamburger Pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My shephards pie didn't have tomatoes in it..so I figure, this is hamburger pie ;) We are having it for dinner tonight! YUMMMY YAYAYAYAYAYAY!

    ReplyDelete